Current:Home > reviewsSurpassing:Lucky Day: Jerome Bettis Jr. follows in father's footsteps, verbally commits to Notre Dame -Elevate Capital Network
Surpassing:Lucky Day: Jerome Bettis Jr. follows in father's footsteps, verbally commits to Notre Dame
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 03:32:07
It's a lucky day for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.
Jerome Bettis' son,Surpassing Jerome Bettis Jr., verbally committed to play college football at Notre Dame on Sunday. The younger Bettis posted a video tribute posted on X, formerly Twitter, reflecting on his father's impact and forging his own path. Bettis Jr. said he wore his father's No. 36 and played running back growing up until he switched to wide receiver in seventh grade and then took No. 32 in eighth grade.
"Some say it's legacy to follow my father's footsteps. Some say I should create my own destiny," he said over a montage of family videos and highlights with Future's "Temptation" in the background. "Growing up as a Bettis, I've heard all about the ways Notre Dame can change your life academically and athletically. ...
"I've always been inspired by my dad's career in college and the NFL, but it's time to start my own journey and I'm excited for the next chapter. ... So, is it legacy? Or am I changing my destiny? It's both and my story is only beginning. I'm blessed to announce my commitment to the University of Notre Dame."
Bettis Jr.'s sister, Jada, also attended Notre Dame where their father played under head coach Lou Holtz. She appears in the video in a letterman jacket.
"When I made my decision on a school, I knew it would impact my life for the better," the elder Bettis, an NFL Hall of Famer who spent a decade with the Pittsburgh Steelers, said in the video. "Now, all I ask is that you make your decision based on what school would change your life, not for a season, but for a lifetime."
Bettis Jr., a three-star wide receiver per Rivals.com in the Class of 2025, made the announcement on St. Patrick's Day, which the Fighting Irish football program calls "Pot of Gold" day where up to 100 offers for the Class of 2026 are extended. The 6'2" Woodward Academy player received his offer from his father's alma mater on the day last year. Last season, he had 30 catches for 369 yards and four touchdowns.
He expressed his confidence in current Fighting Irish head coach Marcus Freeman, who has been at the helm of the program since 2021 and led the team to back-to-back bowl wins.
“I’m sure everybody’s heard this a lot, but he’s such a great coach and he’s so personable,” he said, according to the recruiting website. “For him to be the leader of Notre Dame football, it makes it so much more enticing almost for me to want to go there and want to play under him. Just because of how great of a person he is. Then obviously he’s an outstanding coach.”
Bettis Jr. also had offers from Arkansas, Boston College, California, Duke, Georgia Tech, Kansas, Mississippi, Missouri and others.
Bettis, nicknamed "The Bus," played football at Notre Dame for three seasons, starting his college career as a fullback. He rushed for 1,912 yards before the Los Angeles Rams selected him as the No. 10 overall pick in the 1993 NFL draft.
veryGood! (5978)
Related
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- The Summer I Turned Pretty's Gavin Casalegno Trolls NY Jets for Picking #TeamConrad
- Saudi soccer team refuses to play in Iran over busts of slain general, in potential diplomatic row
- Week 5 injury tracker: Chargers' Justin Herbert dealing with fractured finger
- Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
- EU announces new aid package to Ethiopia, the first since the war in the Tigray region ended
- My new job is stressful with long hours and not as prescribed. Should I just quit? Ask HR
- Tropical Storm Philippe pelts northeast Caribbean with heavy rains and forces schools to close
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- Charlotte Sena update: What we know about the 9-year-old missing in New York
Ranking
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Pope Francis opens possibility for blessing same-sex unions
- Passport processing times reduced by 2 weeks, State Department says
- South Africa culls nearly 2.5M chickens in effort to contain bird flu outbreaks
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Tori Spelling's Oldest Babies Are All Grown Up in High School Homecoming Photo
- It's not all bad news: Wonderful and wild stories about tackling climate change
- Brazil’s government starts expelling non-Indigenous people from two native territories in the Amazon
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
The Army is launching a sweeping overhaul of its recruiting to reverse enlistment shortfalls
How John Mayer Feels About His Song With Katy Perry Nearly a Decade After Their Breakup
LeBron James Shares How Son Bronny's Medical Emergency Put Everything in Perspective
Southern California rocked by series of earthquakes: Is a bigger one brewing?
Missing California swimmer reportedly attacked by shark, say officials
Late night TV is back! We rank their first episodes
Police raid on Kansas newspaper appears to have led to a file on the chief, bodycam video shows